ROAR App FAQs
When you share your status, your approved contacts will receive an SMS text with your status and a link to see your GPS location. You can personalize your status based on what you’re doing. Some examples are: “Going for a run! Can you watch over me?,” “Heading home from the bar,” or “Taking a hike in the woods, will check-in when I’m back!”. Your friends can request an update and you can reply via the app (but they don’t need the app to see your status or location). When you no longer need to share your location (i.e. when you have completed your activity), simply open the app, click the x in the top left corner, and press the “Stop Sharing. I’m Safe!” button to let them know you made it back safely.
Check out this video to learn how the ROAR Personal Safety app works:
The ROAR Personal Safety app works in two ways:
1) With your Athena device. Pair your Athena to our mobile app via Bluetooth, designate your emergency contacts within the app, and, you’re ready to use Athena. When activated, Athena will communicate with our app on your smartphone to send distress messages with your location to your contacts.
2) As a stand alone application. Before you begin an activity, set a status in your ROAR app to let your contacts know what you’re doing and where you are. When you have an active status, your contacts can ask you to check in with them. And, when you’re in an emergency situation but find yourself without your Athena – or, if you don’t own one yet –, send out distress messages via the app.
The ROAR app also features Stories for Good™ that you can browse to stay updated on the latest news related to gender equality and find resources if you or a loved one has been the victim of violence, assault, or harassment.
Check out this video to find out how to get started with your Athena:
See below for the Athena Quick Start Guide:
Download: ROAR Personal Safety App
The ROAR Personal Safety application helps you get more out of your Athena. It’s where you learn how to use and pair your device, manage your contacts, and connect with others when you feel unsafe. The app also offers the latest news related to gender equality and provides resources related to violence, assault and harassment.
- Search ‘ROAR Personal Safety’ and download the app
- Follow the instructions in the app to set up your Athena device
- Check and update your Athena if there is firmware update available
Please note that Athena may need to be charged before pairing.
Tell your loved ones
Talk to your contacts about adding them as an emergency contact and give them a heads-up on what you want them to do if they receive a distress message from you.
Practice: Using Athena
Press & hold for 3+ seconds
This mode is for immediately threatening situations when you want to set off a loud alarm and send distress messages to your emergency contacts.
Press 3 times in a row
This mode is for discreet situations when you feel uncomfortable or sense danger. Your emergency contacts will receive distress messages BUT no alarm will go off.
Practice these modes at least once a month while wearing Athena
Wear it confidently
Attach it to your clothing, bag, pocket, or wear it as a pendant. Find a location that feels natural to you. We recommend ensuring Athena is securely fastened. Also included is a pouch where you can store your Athena when not in use.
You know your Athena is successfully paired when you open the app, tap the Athena icon, and see “Athena is connected” next to the Bluetooth icon.
We want to allow as many people as possible to use the resources in the ROAR app, so is currently free to download with no associated monthly fees. However, text message and data rates from your wireless provider may apply based on your wireless service plan.