ROAR App FAQs
You can "Disable" and "Enable" different emergency contacts depending on who you want to be alerted in a specific situation by completing the below steps:
- Open the app
- Click the hamburger icon (3 horizontal lines in the upper left hand corner)
- Click "Friends" and then swipe over whichever name you want to disable
- When you want to enable them again, simply swipe over their name and tap "Enable."
- Media/photos: Your avatar is required to help identify you as the user and to distinguish your contacts from one another. It also requests access to your camera temporarily so that if you do not want to use a photo from your library, you can take a picture of yourself right then and there.
- Contacts: We request access to your contact list to easily allow you to select the emergency contacts you want to be added to the ROAR app. Note: We never modify your contacts’ names or numbers.
- Bluetooth: This is what connects Athena to your smartphone and the ROAR app. Without the Bluetooth connectivity, the Athena device would not be able to function and send messages to your contacts when triggered. Note: We do not alter any of your other permissions.
- Location: The GPS must be enabled for your emergency contacts to see your location if an alarm is triggered.
When you share your status, your approved contacts will receive an SMS text with your status and a link to see your GPS location. You can personalize your status based on what you’re doing. Some examples are: “Going for a run! Can you watch over me?,” “Heading home from the bar,” or “Taking a hike in the woods, will check-in when I’m back!”. Your friends can request an update and you can reply via the app (but they don’t need the app to see your status or location). When you no longer need to share your location (i.e. when you have completed your activity), simply open the app, click the x in the top left corner, and press the “Stop Sharing. I’m Safe!” button to let them know you made it back safely.
Check out this video to learn how the ROAR Personal Safety app works:
The ROAR Personal Safety app works in two ways:
1) With your Athena device. Pair your Athena to our mobile app via Bluetooth, designate your emergency contacts within the app, and, you’re ready to use Athena. When activated, Athena will communicate with our app on your smartphone to send distress messages with your location to your contacts.
2) As a stand alone application. Before you begin an activity, set a status in your ROAR app to let your contacts know what you’re doing and where you are. When you have an active status, your contacts can ask you to check in with them. And, when you’re in an emergency situation but find yourself without your Athena – or, if you don’t own one yet –, send out distress messages via the app.
The ROAR app also features Stories for Good™ that you can browse to stay updated on the latest news related to gender equality and find resources if you or a loved one has been the victim of violence, assault, or harassment.